Monday, March 28, 2011

Grandpa in NDLEA net over drug ingestion

A 64-year-old grandfather is now cooling his heels at the office of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), who detected 1.580kg of heroine lodged in his stomach for onward “export” to Miami, United States of America. The suspect, one Onwuka Ichi Ukegbu, was to board a Lufthansa flight, but was apprehended last Sunday at the screening centre of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos.


On interrogation, the grandfather, who is married to two wives with 12 children, claimed that it is his first time of trafficking in narcotics. Preliminary investigation revealed that he bought the drugs, with the hope of making a fortune from the criminal trade upon arrival in the United States. It was also discovered that he ingested the drugs in his house at Aba before he travelled to Lagos where he was caught.

According to the NDLEA airport commander, Alhaji Hamza Umar, “the suspect is a textile merchant residing in Aba, Abia State. He was arrested on Sunday on his way to the United States and completed the excretion of 1.580kg of heroin this morning.”

In his confessional statement, Ukegbu explained that he was tempted to resort to drug trafficking, having been made to pay two million naira ransom after the unfortunate kidnap of his daughter.
“This is my very first time of smuggling drugs. I was lured into it when I could not find anything to do after the kidnap issue. I was deceived into drug trafficking. My frustration began five months ago when my 22-year-old daughter was kidnapped in my state and I was made to pay two million naira ransom. I am from Abiriba in Ohafia Local Government Area of Abia State. I was tempted into drug trafficking when they told me that there is much money in it. The painful aspect is that I raised money to buy the drugs myself. I regret everything now,” Onwuka stated.

Also commenting on the development, the chairman/chief executive of the agency, Ahmadu Giade, commended the officers for the arrest. He, however, described the suspect’s tales as cock and bull story, adding: “A man that can buy drugs worth several millions of naira is a major trafficker. The facts of his case certainly do not suggest a new entrant. I have directed that the matter be investigated.”

Source : The Sun Newspaper

PS: I wonder if all these people that courier hard drugs don't listen to news. There is no day in Nigeria when we don't hear about the arrest one drug courier or the other. And yet people still do this shit. My people should know that our airports are equipped with modern gadgets that can do the work of detection very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment