Friday, October 22, 2010

It Gets Better!

Hey everyone! I'm sure most of you have heard of the recent gay teen suicides, and seen the "It Gets Better" anti-bullying campaign of videos featuring everyone from Kim Kardashian to President Obama. The tragedies have really inspired a strong reaction out of people, notably my namesake and blog inspiration, Perez Hilton. He uploaded a video in which he said that after posting about the tragedies and condemning bullying on his blog, a lot of his readers accused him of being a hypocrite, as he himself is seen as one of the biggest bullies in Hollywood. He really took this to heart, and responded by taking an honest look at himself and genuinely pledging to hold himself to a higher standard and not be part of the problem:


Even I had stopped going to his website, after a while I just grew tired of the constant negativity. But after watching that video I decided to support him again, and there has been a significant change in the tone of his blog. He still pokes fun at celebrities, but is no longer mean-spirited and cruel. It's been really inspiring to witness, and it got me to thinking about this blog and my behavior. I always thought that this blog was harmless and all in good fun, but did anyone ever see me as cruel and mean-spirited? Did I sometimes go too far? What are your thoughts on the gay teen suicides, and bullying in general? I'd love to discuss this with you guys so please leave a comment below!

By the way, my favorite "It Gets Better" video is Brian Gallivan's, the guy that plays Sassy Gay Friend on youtube (best video of them all is definitely the Romeo & Juliet spoof!) CLICK HERE to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment